Thursday, August 1, 2019

Star Struck: UFDC 70th Annual Convention - Nashville TN, 2019, Part 5

After hanging out in the competition room as a monitor, it was time for lunch. For me, that meant attending the "I'm the Greatest Star" luncheon. The theme of the luncheon was Funny Girl, the movie starring Barbra Streisand as Fanny Brice. 


Just walking in I knew this was a special event. The centerpiece was a gorgeous rendition of the roller skate outfit from the movie.


It was spot on.


And each place was set with a purple program and matching gift bags.



Each bag was filled with props from the movie: fancy perfume bottles, roses, sheet music, a box of pearls, a telegram, a turtle shell hair clip, anchor necklace, trophy, and a movie clap board. Wow!






Maggie Iacono talked about her deep love of the movie and a program was given about other funny women and girls who have been made into dolls.

Then it was time to receive our souvenir doll, Fanny by Maggie Iacono!



She is everything I could have wanted! And more beautiful and perfect than I expected. Her costume is perfect!




To say I was overjoyed is an understatement.

I wandered over to the program: Adult Art Deco Doll Costumes by Barbara DeVilbiss next.


She gave an interesting program of the definition of Art Deco, its place in context, and shared examples of dolls she has dressed. They are lovely. 







Then it was time for the Regional meetings and the Open Forum. One of the interesting points that was brought up in the Open Forum was the fact that of 70 years of convention souvenirs, none of them have been a black doll. I agree with the UFDC member that brought it up, it is way past time for the UFDC Annual Convention souvenir to be a black doll. Let's make this happen.

In the evening, I was able to attend the programs: STEAM'D - Dolls and STEAM by Rosemary Laverdiere and From Collection to Museum: the Carolyn Barry Story.

The last program let out at 9pm and I walked around the corner to the Madame Alexander Gathering. At the gathering, Madame Alexander representatives talked a bit about the direction of the company and collection. At the end of the gathering door prizes were drawn and I won a cute 2018 Sleeping Beauty doll.


Finally back in my room, I added Fanny to the doll family photo.


And then I retired for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment