Tuesday, January 22, 2019

A Parade of Black Dolls

The most fun, non-stressful, affordable, low-key doll event of the year in Maryland, is The Chesapeake Doll Clubs annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day luncheon. This years theme was "A Parade of Black Dolls".

The guest speaker gave an informative talk on black artist dolls. Besides a slideshow, there were also two tables of the dolls, so attendees could see them up-close and in person.



The Chesapeake Doll Club also had a display of black dolls from the 1960s until today.





I love the Rub-A-Dub Dolly holding the sign.






Lunch was sandwiches, chips, dill pickles, and potluck desserts, which, really, is more than enough food.

There were lots of doll competition categories. My Jada doll did not get a ribbon in the black child doll category, but my Caribbean doll got 3rd place in the black doll dressed in ethnic costume category.


At the end of the event, the raffle were held. I was extremely lucky. I won a Horsman Thirstee Walker,


 Some Barbie dolls,


2 Lil' Imp dolls,


And one of the three special helpers, an Adelaide's Friends doll by Goldie Wilson, a centerpiece doll from the "Circle of Friends" event at the 2016 UFDC Convention in Washington, D.C.



Wow!


The luncheon was a great way to get together with old friends, meet new friends, and learn so much about dolls.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this wonderful review of the Chesapeake Doll Club's Annual MLK Day Luncheon. One of my doll group members conducted the artist doll presentation.

    Congrats on your 3rd place win. I love your doll. I have been in search of a doll like yours for a couple of years. She has such strikingly beautiful facial features and I love her deep complexion.

    Congrats on your multiple doll wins. You cleaned up with winnings!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shared a link to this post with the readers of my blog.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I think my doll is really interesting - she is a form of early hard plastic that I thought was a form of composition.
      I saw that you shared a link on your page, thank you.
      -April

      Delete