Tuesday, July 31, 2012

UFDC Convention - New Orleans: Part 2

Tuesday, July 24th:

This is the day that the convention really got up and running. I got up early and joined the line to buy additional outfits for the souvenir doll (Yesterday's supply had sold out). I met some lovely ladies while in line and time passed quickly as we chatted. I ended up buying 2 of the outfits.

I then attended the program: AV Contest Winners. The 2 winners were about: Santa artist, Henderson's Drolleries; and Identifying German Parians.

Next up was the Luncheon: A Taste of the Orient!

The ladies at my table were a treat and goodies were abundant.




The centerpiece.


Wow! That's a lot of table favors.


The meal.


Desert.


Alan Scott Pate talking about the Japanese Friendship dolls.

Mr. Pate's talk was informative and entertaining and we could have listened to him all day. Unfortunately, some of were scheduled for workshops and had to leave when the luncheon was supposed to be over. I eventually opened up my souvenir doll late that evening. She is a 10" replica Friendship doll:





I think she is beautiful.

After the luncheon, I ran down the hall for the needle-felting class. I was really looking forward to this class. In the class we learned how to needle-felt and to shape the felt, and how to join pieces together. I did not finish my bear in the class, but I will finish it sometime this week. The instructor was very easy to follow.

I then went to the table hosts meeting, went to my room to drop off items and freshen up, and attended the opening ceremonies. After the ceremonies, little boxes of a cardboard table and little chairs were handed out to go with our souvenir doll.

And then... The SALES ROOM opened!

What a doll wonderland! My eyes practically popped out of my head as I navigated the aisles. That night I bought 2 dolls.


A cute 2003 reproduction of a vintage Ginny. I just love the skating outfit. (For some reason I can not rotate this photo.)


And a gorgeous Effenbee composition Ma Ma doll. It was love at first sight.

My last purchase of the night was an Alan Scott Pate book.


After depositing my priceless treasure in my room, I trudged down Bourban Street and found a restaurant for dinner. Then to bed I went.

Stay tuned for Part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment